What is the Village Noise Ordinance?
- It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue or cause to be made or continued any excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noise or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others within the limits of the Village. For full Village code click here.
When is the operation of lawn equipment lawful?
- The use of all lawn equipment, excluding leaf blowers (see below), is permitted seven days a week between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:30 pm. For full Village code click here.
When is the operation of leaf blowers lawful?
- Electric and gas powered leaf blowers are prohibited in the Village of Mamaroneck between May 15th and September 30th.
- The use of leaf blowers are permitted between October 1st and May 14th during the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday through Saturday.
- At no time during the year are leaf blowers permitted on a Sunday.
- For the full leaf blower village code click here.
When is the operation of construction/repairing of building lawful?
- Construction or repairing of buildings: the erection, construction or reconstruction of buildings or major repairs to buildings, the excavation, clearing, filling or grading of land or the placement or removal of earth, stone or building material of any kind, whether or not the work involved the use of machinery or power tools, such that the sound therefrom creates unreasonable noise across a residential real property boundary, other than between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday, except in case of urgent necessity in the interest of public health and safety, and then only with a permit from the Building Inspector, which permit may be granted for a period not to exceed three (3) days while the emergency continues and which permit may be renewed for periods of three (3) days or less while the emergency continues. If the Building Inspector should determine that the public health and safety will not be impaired by such erection or excavation outside the hours set forth above and if he shall further determine that loss or inconvenience would result to any party in interest, he may grant permission for such work to be done, during any hours which he deems the same to be reasonable, upon application being made at the time the permit for the work is awarded or during the progress of the work. No such activity shall be permitted on Sundays or on any of the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King’s Birthday, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving and Christmas
- For full Village code click here.
When is amplified music permitted within the Village of Mamaroneck?
- Radios, phonographs, etc.: the using, operating or permitting to be played, used or operated of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, phonograph or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of involuntary listeners thereto or at any time with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing for the person or persons who are located where such machine or device is operated and who are voluntary listeners thereto. The operation of any such set, instrument, phonograph, machine or device between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. in such a manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of one hundred (100) feet from the place in which it is located shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this chapter.
- For full Village code click here.